Frequently Asked Questions

Are you a new resident to the Town of Buchanan?

There are free folders at the Town Hall for new residents with Welcome to the Town information.

Where do I pay my water bill?

The Darboy Joint Sanitary District #1 office located at N398 County Road N, Appleton, WI 54915. Payments can be mailed to the Sanitary District or paid directly at their office. Cash or check only, they can not accept debit or credit card payments.

Where do I call for water and/or sewer related questions?

The Darboy Joint Sanitary District #1 at (920) 788-6048.

Does the Town accept credit card payments?

Yes, the Town currently does accept credit card payments.  Please note: credit card transactions carry a service charge and cannot be used for tax collection (Town collection) or dog licenses. 

Where do I pay my property taxes?

Property tax bills are mailed in mid to late December each year. Payment in full or the 1st installment is due by January 31 to the Town of Buchanan, N178 County Rd. N, Appleton, WI 54915 in person or by mail. After January 31, all payments are collected at the Outagamie County Treasurer's office, 410 S. Walnut Street, Appleton, WI 54911, phone number (920)832-5065. 2nd installments are due by July 31st and payable directly to the Outagamie County Treasurer.

Where do I get a dog license?

A license can be obtained at the Buchanan Town Hall during regular office hours. A current copy of the dog's rabies vaccination certificate must be brought along at the time the license is applied and paid for. Each dog license is only good for one calendar year and expires on December 31 of that year.

Payments in cash or check only, we can not accept credit cards. Click on the following link for a dog license application which can be submitted by mail: Buchanan Dog License Application.

Can I get a dog license by mail?

Yes, please send a completed Buchanan Dog License Application, along with a copy of the current rabies vaccination certificate, a self-addressed stamped envelope, and include the correct fee for each dog.

What is the cost of a dog license?

If your pet is spayed/neutered the cost is $7.00. If not, the cost is $12.00. The licenses expire on December 31st of each year. If you fail to license your dog before March 31st of the current year, a $5.00 late fee must be included for each dog you are licensing. (Late fee does not apply to new puppies that have just received their first rabies vaccination. Also, anyone who has just moved to the town after March 31st, as long as you apply for your license within two weeks).

Do I need a license for my cat?

Not at this time.

Where do I vote?

All Town residents register and vote at the Buchanan Town Hall, N178 County Rd. N, Appleton, WI 54915. The polls are open from 7:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. on election day.

On what holidays is the town hall office closed?

Our town office is closed on the following holidays: New Year's Day, Good Friday, Memorial Day, Fourth of July, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day and the Friday after Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve and Christmas Day.

Who do I contact regarding my property assessment?

You should call Accurate Appraisal, LLC. They are located at 1428 Midway Road, Menasha, WI 54952. Their office phone number is (920)749-8098 or 1-(800) 770-3927. Web Site: accurateassessor.com

What is the Village/Town of Harrison's phone number?

The Village/Town of Harrison's phone number is (920) 989-1062.

What are the Town of Buchanan's Snow Emergency Parking Regulations?

Per the Code of the Town of Buchanan, §495-19 and §495-14, no person shall park any vehicle upon any Town street in Buchanan for more than 30 minutes between the hours of 2:00 a.m. and 6:00 a.m. from November 1st through March 31st. If a snow emergency is declared there shall be no parking for 48 hours or until snow operations have been completed. The Town will make announcement of such emergency to be broadcast on WHBY and WAPL radio stations and on the Town website & Twitter.

Who do I call if the snowplow damages my mailbox?

The Town of Buchanan contracts with Outagamie County Highway Department to plow the town roads. Outagamie County Highway department's phone number is (920) 832-5673.

Who is the Town building inspector?

The Town building inspector is Paul Hermes. He does not keep regular office hours, but can be reached on his mobile phone at (920) 858-0102.

Where is the nearest Post Office?

Combined Locks Post Office on Wallace St. has lobby hours 7:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday - Friday & 7:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. Saturday. Window hours are 8:15 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. & 2:00 p.m. to 4:15 p.m. Monday - Friday. Saturday window hours are 8:30 a.m. to 9:45 a.m.

How do I rent the Town Hall?

The Town of Buchanan Community Room can be rented by Town of Buchanan residents only. Rentals are accepted after November 1st for the following year. Residents need to come in to the Town Hall office during normal business hours to request their rental date, sign the rental contract and pay the current rental and deposit fees. The Community Room holds up to 55-60 people total and is rented on a first come first served basis on Saturdays and Sundays. The key would be picked up a couple of days prior to your rental at the Buchanan Town Hall during normal business hours.

How do I put a message on the sign in front of the Town Hall?

Written message requests can be taken at the Town Hall office during regular business hours or you may e-mail your request. No signs will be scheduled before November 1st for the following year. The Town Hall sign is not available for messages on Saturdays and Sundays and when the office is closed for holidays. The messages on the sign must be appropriate, (at the Town's discretion). Messages must be abbreviated to fit the sign: 14 letters including spaces per line and three lines maximum. Town business takes precedence, and messages for the weekend related to events in which the Community Room has been rented. Weather conditions or lack of personnel may cause a sign to not be able to go up. We will try to honor sign requests but will not guarantee any sign will go up.

The Town Board approved the following changes to the existing sign/message request process that went in to effective January 1, 2013:

  • Town usage of the sign shall take precedence over any other sign request.
  • Individuals renting the Town Hall shall have the second highest priority for sign usage.
  • Only Town residents will be allowed to request a message for the sign.
  • Reservations for the sign shall only be allowed via e-mail, (please include your address so that we know you are a Town resident), and in person at the Town Hall.
  • Phone requests will no longer be accepted.
  • Changing of messages on the sign shall no longer occur on Saturdays or Sundays.
What is the Appleton Wheel Tax?

The City of Appleton's vote to approve a "wheel tax" may impact you! The DMV will be adding $20.00 fees to vehicle registration renewals to those that are listed as being kept in Appleton. If you have in the past appropriately answered the question "Where do you keep your vehicle?" and listed Town of Buchanan, you should not be affected by this new wheel tax. However, if you previously indicated that you keep your vehicle in Appleton because that is your Buchanan zip code (54915), then you may be subject to the wheel tax until you correct this information.

Please remember your vehicle registration is self-reporting and our office is not responsible for updating or clarifying your renewals. Attached is the information on the Wheel Tax found at the DMV's website. Owners can email: vehiclequestions@dot.wi.gov with "Appleton" in the subject line, or call 608-266-1466 between 7:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m.